Is Homework a Good Thing?

Students at JSK are interviewed with their various opinions about homework within the school.

December 22, 2022

Homework is a very popular practice among many schools globally all over the world. Some may state that it’s used as a way to help students to improve academically, and overall get a better understanding of what is being taught. However, is it really a good system to put in place?

Various people have different opinions on homework and both parents and students alike from various different perspectives on the stance of homework. 

For instance, Florida’s Marion County had banned homework for elementary school students for the reason being if homework isn’t beneficial to students, and it would be much preferred if parents can read with their children instead. However, some other people perceive the idea that homework does matter, and how it is much more effective to have homework for students rather than little to no homework at all. Furthermore, I found this article from a college that complains to their professors to stop giving homework on breaks.

But, how is homework perceived in JSK High School? 

To find this answer, I conducted interviews with a few students to get their perception of homework in JSK, this is what they had to say:

Student #1: 

Question 1:How do you feel about homework in general as a concept, not just in this school?

Answer: “In most cases, it can be good for some students because it can help them to help put effort into their work.” 

Question 2: Do you feel as if homework is too difficult? 

Answer: “The difficulty varies between students, the amount of effort they put in determines how easy or hard their homework is.” 

Question 3: Do you personally bring your homework on time? Why or why not?

Answer: “No, I don’t have the energy for it most of the time, and I don’t really find it fun.”

Student #2: Sarah

Question 1: How do you feel about homework in general as a concept, not just in this school?

Answer: “I don’t like the idea of homework because we already have classwork to begin with.” 

Question 2: Do you enjoy the system of having points taken off of late homework?

Answer: “It can depend from student to student on how much work they personally give.”

Answer: “Not always, I get really lazy and don’t feel like doing it, and I don’t find homework fun.”

Student #3 

Answer: “It’s bad because we have classwork already, and want to relax when I get home.”

Answer: “It’s good because if you don’t do work for a certain amount of time, it might as well not count after a while.

Question 3: Do you personally do homework on time? Why or why not?

Answer: “Most of the time, yes, and it’s so I don’t get points taken off.”

This is a small, but interesting glimpse into how homework is perceived at JSK, and we can see that two out of the three interviewers had the idea that homework in general, including at JSK isn’t a good idea. 

But, what do you think about homework at JSK High School? Do you think it academically helps students or hinders them when they want to relax after getting home from school? If you’re a student reading this, what is your point of view on homework? 

What’s your opinion? Vote below!

Is homework a good thing?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.