Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Mann

JSK is excited to feature and give recognition to ONE of the many amazing teachers that goes beyond for the community and students! 

There are so many amazing teachers here at  Judith S. Kaye High School. A teacher’s spotlight is an excellent opportunity of highlighting their strengths and talents when it comes to helping students achieve their goals. JSK is very fortunate to have some awesome teachers and staff in their community who can help advance and support the student’s education with each lesson. The students (Sadiyya Lallbeharry & Mohammed Sanogo) decided to spotlight a very talented teacher who has been working with his students really hard and pushing them towards more creative ways of learning! 

Meet Mr. Mann!

Photo by Mohammed S.

Mr. Mann is a Math teacher here at Judith S. Kaye High School. He is always dedicated to helping students learn in different ways, he will sit down individually with each of his students to help them develop their skills in his class. Mr. Mann makes learning more accessible and fun to students, & you can always look forward to seeing him in the hallway or his classroom whether it be a friendly smile or greetings from him. 

Q- What inspired you to pursue a career in the education industry? 

A- I developed such a love for mathematics. At a young age I knew that’s what I wanted to do. It was around 7th grade where I felt committed to be a teacher. I just thought it was a good career actually. I didn’t realize at the time that the teacher wage wasn’t that great but I thought of teaching as a way where I could share my love of Mathematics. 

Q- What’s the most valuable thing your students have taught you?

A- Patience. It’s rough because lots of students have difficulties with mathematics above any other subject. Students can still try and have trouble so it just requires a lot of time and practice. It was when I realized that in my career, I can’t really move faster than my students. I would give them a curriculum to teach and let them know that they need to get this done in a year but I realized it just didn’t work that way since my students needed extra time on a specific topic. I had to give it to them instead of rushing through. 

Q- What is something you wish your students knew about you?

A- I wish my students knew that I was a person. Many students don’t see their teachers as actual people. When the students yell at me, curse at me, or I’m trying to help a student and they are constantly on their phone while I’m trying to teach, these things make me feel bad. I go home and tend to feel bad about it because I am genuinely trying to help students who need it. Teachers are people, we have feelings, we care a lot and we’re trying our best. I think this is something good for students to keep in mind. 

Q-What is a unique skill you bring to your role as a teacher?

A- I would say at this point now I have a lot of experience working with needy students in special populations. So I am very accustomed to working with students with traumas, students with PTSD, teen parents or students who are academically challenged & behind in their skills. That’s kind of the target audience I prefer. 

Q- What do you love most about teaching?

A- I love seeing students who work hard, that doesn’t mean they have to be necessarily good at the materials, that comes with time and effort when trying to work hard. Students don’t have to be quick or accurate, but they need to put in the work. I find that very appealing and that makes me happy. It’s the hard work that is gonna get you far in life. You may not necessarily use some of the skills your teachers have taught you, you may not use some of the math skills in your everyday life, after high school or college, but you need to learn how to work hard regardless of what you do so I enjoy seeing that students work hard. I mean that just makes me really happy. 

Q-Who had the most influence on you growing up? Why?

A- That would be my mother. My dad passed away when I was 10 years old. My mom was a single mother for a long time and that was tough. I’m a twin also so my mom had two sons and she was by herself. She herself was also a teacher and at that time she had to put in a lot of work at her job and also raise her two sons. And I think I carried that with me to become a teacher as well. 

Q- What makes your classroom culture unique?

A- The emphasis I put on and effort. I try for effort based learning where you get rewarded for the work you put in. You know I believe all students can work, just some need extra time so I’m trying to grade them according to the work they put in. Also before I think of myself as a teacher of mathematics, I prefer to think of myself as the teacher of life so I can encourage hard working effort. 

Q- What movie/tv show/book do you think everyone should watch/read? Why?

A- I am a big fan of the fantasy genre so when I watch shows, I prefer to watch a lot of fantasy shows. When I read books, they’re almost exclusively about fantasies. I believe one of the best books out there is called “The name of the wind” by Patrick Rothfuss. I think that book is very unique, it is so well written and very entertaining. So I think it’s worthy of a lot of people reading it even if it’s outside the real world, everyone should at least experience it.

Q-What are some of your favorite activities outside of work?

A- I play a lot of board- games. I like having my friends over. I have a big board game collection. I’m not a fan of buying expensive shoes, or cars. I don’t spend my income on frivolous things except bored games. I would rather spend my income on that since I have a big collection and I find board games very mathematical and entertaining. They tend to allow my mind to think in abstract ways so I’m very passionate about board games. 

Those were all the questions that Mr. Mann was asked! JSK appreciates and hopes that the students and community enjoyed reading and continues learning more about the amazing teachers at this school. Mr. Mann is poised to be a wonderful teacher, as he will always be a kind face to talk to. Thank you Mr. Mann!