JSK News

The Student News Site of The Judith S. Kaye School

JSK News

JSK News

Brooklyn family mourns 19 year old twin stabbed to death

Samiya Spain, 19, fatally stabbed after rejecting killer’s advances in a Brooklyn Deli
+Source%3A+Yahoo+and+Getty+Images
Source: Yahoo and Getty Images

Two young women were injured and one with fatal wounds on March 17. Samiya Spain and Saniya Spain, twins who live in Brooklyn, were at a local deli when the incident occurred at 2:30 am on St Marks Place and Fourth Avenue in Park Slope. Local witnesses said a young man approached the teens and his advances were rejected. After spewing insults at both victims, the assailant left, only to return back to the store to corner the girls.

The killer allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed Samiya in the neck and chest. The twin sister, Saniya, suffered a slice on her arm. Saniya was able to survive. However, Saniya died from her wounds.

Several days later on March 22, the assailant, turned himself in. Veo Kelly, 20, was present with his attorney when he turned himself in. He was escorted out of the 78th precinct, located in Park Slope, and was accosted by loved ones of Samiya Spain who gathered outside the precinct. Family members felt a sense of relief that the alleged killer is now in custody. A search warrant at Kelly’s Hancock Street home yielded clothing believed to be worn during the attack, but the murder weapon has not been found.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.