JSK News

The Student News Site of The Judith S. Kaye School

JSK News

JSK News

JSK Financial Literacy Career Day

Trout CPA

Financial literacy is a topic that has been questioned many times on whether it should be a mandatory core class or not for high school students.  

Although the class is provided at JSK, there is a great percentage of students who don’t get that chance to learn this information at all. JSK Manhattan campus saw this as a learning opportunity for the students to explore more financial literacy topics so, several staff members from QTC and the Manhattan campus organized a financial literacy field trip held at the JSK main campus.

The workshop offered students the ability to walk through classrooms and sit down and listen to an individual who might inspire them, give them some knowledge on the career path they are choosing to take, and most importantly how to take care of their money. The event also held mini-games like the Price Is Right or Money Ball. Students got the chance to win a prize which gets students excited and want to engage more. Co-host of the Price is Right and school counselor, Ms. Cruz, shared “The event helped bring both JSK campuses together! Students engaged in friendly competition and showcased their knowledge of item costs ranging from grocery items, and tuition costs, to car payments and monthly rent. It was fun and challenged them to work together.”  

The classrooms that were offered to the students were business careers/entrepreneurs, public service careers, personal finance activities, health professions, and fashion beauty/careers. Students were welcome to attend any three classes of their choice and if they wanted to sit it on the other classes.

“The fashion beauty class inspired me, to know after college I don’t have to already be there. I learned going at my own pace to intake the information I need is better than trying to race myself to be great where if I take my time and start somewhere small I can maybe get even more knowledge than I would have before.” quoted by Kim Vargas. 

For students to be able to sit down with an individual who has a career of interest can shed some light on that career path and guide them to becoming proficient in that particular career path they would like to take. Many students do not want to go to college after high school and would like to take a different path which also has been provided with other paths such as the option of going to trade school.

JSK science teacher,  Ms.Hunkele explored the business careers/entrepreneurs classroom and stated “It was really interesting to hear people in different professions and make a connection with skills that are important for any career, specifically that they mention the importance of communication skills and the professional networking to expand your opportunities”

Not knowing what career path you want to take but just sitting in and listening can help even if that’s not what you want to know. For any path, you will still have to get the knowledge you need to pursue that career so just knowing what those first couple of steps you have to take can turn you from a high school student into a hard-working adult.

The financial literacy workshop will help students get more hands-on and try to get them to relate to real-world problems. Many students graduate with no knowledge and one question that runs through all their minds is “What do I do now?” or “I wish someone would tell me the next steps to take.” Students should not just be expected to know what to do when they are in the real world and only have themselves to depend on.